Building Regulations

Building Regulations – Getting Approval

Any building works, external or internal alteration or change of use, require Building Regulation Approval / Passing of Building Plans. Approximately the cost for the Council to consider an application is £86.00. They then make a further charge for their site visits to assess work under Building Regulations – the amount varies depending on the size of the project and the particular Council – but the average single storey extension is around £300.00.

Building Regulations are in place to ensure sub-standard work is not carried out to new buildings or alterations to existing dwellings. Once the Council is notified that work is taking place they visit the site to inspect at regular intervals and any work has to conform to their requirements. At the end of the project a certificate is issued acknowledging that they approve the work.

However their requirements can be a little onerous and it is not uncommon for some of our Clients to feel rather indignant that the Council has the right to so much control about what they can and cannot do to their property. This is particularly the case when a fairly large amount of the work required is costly and is considered by some home owners to be over the top and/or unnecessary.

The areas of key interest to the Council’s Building Control Department are as follows:

  • Structure – is the building safe and constructed correctly
  • Materials – are the materials suitable for the task
  • Water – foul water and surface/rain water (guttering, downpipes and soakaways)
  • Roof structure
  • Insulation and thermal efficiency
  • Damp proofing and condensation
  • Safety – stairs for example have to conform to regulations

Baileybridge removes the hassle and stress from our Clients by dealing with Council’s Building Control Department and Building Inspector. We undertake to obtain the Completion Certificate for any work we do and to deal with the Building Inspector throughout the process. Tackling this without professional help is akin to representing yourself in Court when the other side has a barrister and you are not very well versed with the Law. If you can possibly avoid getting involved with Building Control you should as you will find it very frustrating, distressing and costly if you do not really know what you are doing and if you do not have the knowledge to stand your ground when challenged.